The educational offer at the Ba level of the Environmental Science and Engineering College, belongs to two studying domains: Environmental Science (3 year full-time program) and Environmental Engineering (4 year full-time program). The Ba level specializations function in Romanian language, and some specialization in Hungarian as well. The syllabuses were created in a flexible manner, containing a common core base of 4 semesters to ensure the acquisition of specific general knowledge in the specialization study line and different packages of optional courses (3rd and 4th year). This design creates the premises of specialty knowledge gaining required for defining each and every taken up specialization and also the orientation towards the direction of study offered in the second cycle of study – the Ma level.
Environmental Science domain wishes to meet the current needs of society regarding the educational preparation of specialists in the required competences and attributions designed to resolve environmental issues generated by the social and economical Romanian rhythm of development.
The curricular syllabuses of these directions of specializations ensure not only a fundamental theoretical preparation but also a practical orientated one. The syllabus is based on a comprehensive image of the environmental issue seen as a whole and its subcategories at the same time. Its purpose is to provide the graduates the necessary research skills in order to be able to identify the practical solutions for handling the environmental challenges. The students form their skills to perform practical and conceptual analysis of the terrestrial, aquatic and atmospheric systems and their interactions with the biosphere and antroposfera. The curriculum also includes disciplines from the social sciences and economical domains. A great attention is paid to the development of computational skills.
In this regard, the profile of the specializations within the Environmental Sciences domain is based upon the nowadays issue of environmental cognition and its need for integrative management, and on the stringent requirement for the application of terrestrial and environmental planning. This domain is characterized by the exploration of the surrounding realities under all its forms, with the purpose of delivering solutions in critical situations. By doing so, it actually offers a field of work for the environmental engineering, an aspect that underlines even more the convergence of these two domains of the College of Environmental Sciences.
The students ‘professional development skills involves a first stage of general education in Environmental Science, which includes core subjects dealing with geological and geographical environment, biotic, principles of physics and chemistry, the use of computers. Starting with the second year, students can gradually be guided through optional courses, to one of the directions: assessment and environmental management, namely analysis and environmental technology.
For a specialist trained in Environmental Science, the specific skills will be:
- the ability to generate systems of environment quality assessment, collection and evaluation of data;
- the ability to adapt the methods of eliminating the effects of environmental pollution removal training activities and participation in these activities;
- the ability to solve the water economy, participation in decision-making and preparation;
- general knowledge of water treatment technologies and wastewater treatment technologies of liquid and solid waste, preparation of waste management projects;
- the ability to adapt the modern methods of protection against noise and vibration;
- the ability to do reviewer performing tasks, delegated environmental problems;
- participation in decision-training activities, expert advice;
- decisions after performing feasibility studies;
- the ability to perform control functions, decision, advice on environmental matters in support of local government authorities;
- implementation of activities related to education, environmental policy and resolving conflicts;
- performing tasks related to some protected targets (reserves / natural areas), water treatment plants, storage areas and waste combustion, production and operation centers.
- training programs for environmental protection, coordination of procedures related to environmental legislation;
- processing of data collected in the field by using advanced methodologies (e.g. technical Geographic Information Systems) based on physical models and mathematical chemicals used in the Euro-Atlantic area;
An effective and appropriate teaching method in preparing students and shaping their skills is working in the laboratories. Here, students are familiar with specific technical disciplines for scientific research. Another method proved to be useful for future environmental specialists is the case study which examines the complex situation in the field, the results of laboratory measurements, many factors involved in the environmental functionality.
The convergence of university training with working life is achieved in the course of professional practice undertaken in order to develop professional skills, both general and cross orientated.
Studies are completed by an examination (license) which is oriented in two directions: firstly, the students present the results of research conducted during the development of the diploma, secondly, their fundamental theoretical knowledge gained during college are being valued.
The career paths that the graduates specialized in Environmental Science at the University “Babes-Bolyai” may follow, are diverse. After graduation, the licensee specialist in Environmental Science can perfect their studies by following one of the three lines of Masters accredited college or opt for improvement in the doctoral school “Environmental Science”.
For those looking for employment there are a number of potential employers: industrial operators (all profiles production, consulting and services), government (environmental agencies, environmental clearance, civil protection – inspectorate for emergency water company Romanian, autonomous tutorials etc.), non-governmental organizations, local government bodies – Prefectures, municipalities, businesses that need a department / office environmental protection, private environmental consulting, accredited companies perform environmental studies (for industrial, construction, investment, industrial, infrastructure, agriculture, tourism, social, etc.), environmental education and training (education and university).
There are at least two major reasons that justify the preparation of specialists in Environmental Science and their insertion in the labor market. First, one can speak of a shortage of suitably qualified experts in the environmental field, able to solve complex environmental problems, and secondly, according to the European model, in Romania is emerging a new perception of environmental issues viewed as an essential support of the existence of human society, economic activity and sustainable development.