Development of the Competence Center for the Adaptation of Local Communities to Climate Change through public-private partnerships in the field of RDI
Project financed through the National Recovery and Resilience Plan, Call no. PNRR-III-C9-2022 – I5.
DURATION OF THE PROJECT
2023 – 2025
Lector dr. Nicolae Ajtai – Faculty of Environmental Science and Engineering / Babeș-Bolyai University
- University of Bucharest
- National Administration of Meteorology RA Bucharest, National School of Meteorology, Bucharest Branch
- INOE 2000 – The National Institute for Research and Development for Optoelectronics;
- National Institute for Aerospace Research “Elie Carafoli” – I.N.C.A.S. București;
- INDECO SOFT SRL
- INOESY S.R.L.
- AB European Research Group
- CIT-IRECSON Centrul de Informare Tehnologica SRL
- ECO MAPS SRL
The project aims to create a Competence Center to address issues related to climate change adaptation (CCA), including social transformation, able to gain critical mass for the development of a common Strategic Research Agenda (SRA) in correlation with the Mission’s Agenda.
The project involves the public-private association of the leading 5 RDI institutions in Romania with expertise in CCA along with 5 relevant SMEs, aiming to develop innovative solutions and tools to support local communities to better understand and prepare for and manage climate risks and opportunities.
The project’s initial SRA is based on an inventory of existing resources (knowledge, experts, infrastructure), which will support advanced research developed within the 5 Specific RDI projects. Within these projects, the SMEs will input their own specific resources to co-develop solutions and tools that will increase the competitiveness of Romanian research and help attend to the expected results of the HEU Mission to accompany by 2030 at least 150 EU regions and communities towards climate resilience.
The Center will update the SRA through 2 feasibility studies on the status of the implementation of the HEU Mission and Mapping of RDI resources, including a roadmap of research infrastructures in the Mission’s topic.
The Center will carry out regular stakeholder engagement activities with local and central public authorities, thematic NGOs and the public to better substantiate the SRA.
- Application for crowd-sourcing on thermal stress collection
- Decision Support System
- Communication strategy
- Tool for seasonal forecasting of severe storms
- Two tools for climate resilience assessment
- A harmonized climate database for user-scale modeling of climate multi-hazard risks and vulnerability assessment in CCH areas
- Tailored climate tools and methodologies for decision-support Local Climate Change Observatories
- Science-based policy recommendations for adaptation and resilience in local communities from CCH areas
- Hotspots of land use and land cover changes relevant to climate change adaptation
- High-resolution maps of the main climate drivers in Cluj-Napoca
- Sensors toolbox
- Climate footprint calculator
- Impact simulator
- Model simulations of the impact on regional scale CH4 concentrations.